Go potty at Barnstaple medieval dig
All invited to join archaeological pottery dig at Litchdon Street from October 28-31.
VOLUNTEERS are invited to join an archaeological dig into Barnstaple’s medieval past from Friday, October 28 to Monday 31.
No experience is necessary to take part in the excavation at Litchdon Street, which is expected to find a wealth of late medieval pottery near the original Brannam Pottery site.
It is being organised by The Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon plus North Devon Archaeological Society and South West Archaeology Ltd.
Funding has been provided by Devon County Council plus individual Barnstaple town and district councillors.
You may also want to watch:
Two small trenches excavated in late 2010 recovered more than 100 kilos of late 15th and early 16th century pottery plus kiln furniture.
It is hoped the work will allow a clearer picture of pottery production in the period and as Barnstaple pottery had such a wide distribution, the findings could have wide reaching implications.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 7 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 8 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Team to lead community-focussed Gazette into new era
Museum and South West Archaeology staff will be on hand to provide tips on digging, sieving and pot washing, as well as to discuss the site and finds.
For those who do not wish to get muddy, there is also the opportunity to help wash and process finds as they come out of the ground.
Visitors are welcome to go along and watch the work, learn more or view the finds. To participate, call South West Archaeology on (01769) 573555.