Glow worms shine on the Tarka Trail
TINY lights along the Tarka Trail have pointed a survey team to glow worms which are living there.
Four volunteers from the North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Biosphere Service (NDABS) took to their bikes to carry out a night-time glow worm survey along the trail.
The team cycled 16 miles along the trail from Fremington to East Yarde and discovered 17 of the unusual creatures.
Team leader Tom Hynes said: “I was not sure whether we would see any glow worms, so it was exciting when we spotted the first one near Fremington Quay, just after dusk. The trail is a wonderful wildlife corridor and there have been plenty of records of glow worms in the past, but I was not sure if they were still there and not sure if the weather would be suitable for them to shine their lights.”
Glow worms are not actually worms, but insects. Their larvae live on snails and it is thought that the limestone ballast along the Tarka Trail‘s former railway route attracts snails for them.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteer Rupert Hawley said: “The final three sections of the female glow worm’s body glows in order to attract a mate. The females only live for three weeks or so, during which time they will hopefully have been mated and laid eggs.”
NDABS are keen to hear of any other glow worm sightings on the trail, or further afield in the Biosphere Reserve. Anyone seeing glow worms or who would like some training prior to carrying out glow worm surveys should contact Tom Hynes of NDABS on (01237) 423655.
- 1 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 4 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 8 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 9 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 10 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe