Girls would walk 1,000 miles
TWO energetic Devon students are on a summer holiday with a difference - on a tough walking challenge from John O’Groats to Land’s End to raise vital funds for Children’s Hospice South West.
Rebecca Turner from Ilfracombe and Jade Holmes from Torquay, both 20, are studying Adventure Education at Chichester University. Jade will be celebrating her 21st birthday on the walk!
The girls left on June 13 and are not expected to complete their marathon trek until at least the middle of July.
The ‘jogle,’ as it is fondly known, traverses the whole length of Great Britain between extremities on the South West and North East. It typically covers a distance of over 1,000 miles, a phenomenal personal challenge at any age.
Jade and Rebecca have set up an online blog to keep in touch with well wishers.
You may also want to watch:
Emma Perry, Community Fundraiser for Children’s Hospice South West has been following the girls’ online blog and says: “I have been checking in regularly to see how Rebecca and Jade are getting on. They seem to be doing very well and have already experienced some highs and lows of such a challenge. We are very grateful to them for choosing to support CHSW in such an adventurous way. Our families often face their own personal challenges and it is heartening to know these students help us build on the continuing work we do with life-limited children and their families.”
To follow Rebecca and Jade’s progress log on to jadeandbecksbigwalk.blogspot.com
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
To donate to their walk visit virginmoneygiving.com/team/JadeandBecks. Money raised will go to support the vital work at CHSW.