Gig boat memorial
NORTH Devon gig clubs, family and friends turned out on Saturday to support Bideford Pilot Gig Club in a poignant riverside re-naming ceremony for their boat.
The gig was re-named Janice Anne in memory of local woman Janice Anne Aitken, who died two years ago.
She was the sister of the Bideford club’s president Eric Scott and the Scott family made donations to the club in her memory. The naming was performed by her mother Phyllis Scott of Northam.
The naming of the gig was an appropriate memory of a woman with a lifetime involvement in working for children and for sporting activities.
Janice was a school teacher and had worked for many years in Tanzania, where she was a head teacher and also worked to raise funds and help children orphaned by AIDS.
You may also want to watch:
The boat was blessed by the Rev Alan Glover of Bideford Parish Church and Mayor of Bideford, Cllr Philip Pester, was among those taking part in the ceremony.
The gig club is currently seeking funding to buy a new training boat and the day also saw this started off with the donation of �1,000 by the Appledore and Bideford key draw charity.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 9 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
- 10 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
For more details about the club visit www.bidefordpilotgigclub.com.