Giants in the woods at Yeo Valley
AN open day at Yeo Valley Community Woodland has been hailed a giant success, with more than 250 visitors – some of whom were rather tall - enjoying the free family event on Sunday. Organised by North Devon Council and community Friends of Yeo Valley Co
AN open day at Yeo Valley Community Woodland has been hailed a "giant" success, with more than 250 visitors - some of whom were rather tall - enjoying the free family event on Sunday.
Organised by North Devon Council and community Friends of Yeo Valley Community Woodland, the event is held as a celebration of the success of the woodland project at Silverwood Heights in Barnstaple and an opportunity for residents to enjoy some free entertainment.
Amongst the visitors were giants, supplied by puppeteers Raventales, who entertained with storytelling and woodland animal mask making.
Other activities included green woodworking demonstrations, juggling workshops and the Exmoor Zoo roadshow.
You may also want to watch:
The bug, bat, bird and bee box making was very popular, especially with younger visitors, many of whom took their boxes home to encourage wildlife into their gardens.
"It was really encouraging so many people came along on Sunday and a good time was had by all," said assistant parks and amenities manager John Rowe.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
"We're always trying to encourage more people to visit the woodland and to discover the raft of wildlife on their doorstep.
"The project has really moved on since it began four years ago, which is thanks to the volunteers who have all worked so hard to bring the woodland to life."
A number of organised events take place throughout the year including nature walks, stonewalling and tree planting.
For more information on events or how to join the Friends of Yeo Valley Community Woodland volunteer group, contact the Parks Team on (01271) 388326 or e-mail email@example.com.