Giants in the woods at Yeo Valley
AN open day at Yeo Valley Community Woodland has been hailed a giant success, with more than 250 visitors – some of whom were rather tall - enjoying the free family event on Sunday. Organised by North Devon Council and community Friends of Yeo Valley Co
AN open day at Yeo Valley Community Woodland has been hailed a "giant" success, with more than 250 visitors - some of whom were rather tall - enjoying the free family event on Sunday.
Organised by North Devon Council and community Friends of Yeo Valley Community Woodland, the event is held as a celebration of the success of the woodland project at Silverwood Heights in Barnstaple and an opportunity for residents to enjoy some free entertainment.
Amongst the visitors were giants, supplied by puppeteers Raventales, who entertained with storytelling and woodland animal mask making.
Other activities included green woodworking demonstrations, juggling workshops and the Exmoor Zoo roadshow.
The bug, bat, bird and bee box making was very popular, especially with younger visitors, many of whom took their boxes home to encourage wildlife into their gardens.
"It was really encouraging so many people came along on Sunday and a good time was had by all," said assistant parks and amenities manager John Rowe.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
"We're always trying to encourage more people to visit the woodland and to discover the raft of wildlife on their doorstep.
"The project has really moved on since it began four years ago, which is thanks to the volunteers who have all worked so hard to bring the woodland to life."
A number of organised events take place throughout the year including nature walks, stonewalling and tree planting.
For more information on events or how to join the Friends of Yeo Valley Community Woodland volunteer group, contact the Parks Team on (01271) 388326 or e-mail email@example.com.