Giant mural appears in Westward Ho! opposing Tesco plans
- Credit: Archant
The huge mural is the work of street artist Mau Mau, who created a similar mural opposing the Bideford Atlantic Park development in June.
A GIANT mural has appeared on a wall in Westward Ho! apparently opposing plans for a new Tesco in the village.
The artwork, titled ‘Coming soon to a town or village near you! ..INVASION OF THE SUPERMARKETS!’, is the work of renowned street artist Mau Mau.
It has been painted at the Westward Ho! car park, covering up the existing mural which was painted to mark the turn of the millennium.
The painting, which has been worked on in stages in the dead of night over the last few days, was completed on Monday morning.
You may also want to watch:
The film-like scene depicts the ‘invasion’ of Tesco and features slogans such as ‘Very Little Helps’ with shop fronts boarded up.
Bev Coombes, who started the Say No To Tesco (SNOTT) campaign said she was absolutely delighted to see the artwork.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
“We didn’t know anything about it until it appeared,” she said.
“So many people have been stopping to photograph or video it – some people are even pulling over in their cars to take a better look.
“It is exactly what everybody thinks of Tesco coming here.”
In June, the Gazette reported how a Mau Mau piece of art had appeared on the site of the proposed Atlantic Park development in Bideford.
What do you think of the artwork? Vote in our poll above, comment below, or email email@example.com.