Giant mural appears in Westward Ho! opposing Tesco plans
- Credit: Archant
The huge mural is the work of street artist Mau Mau, who created a similar mural opposing the Bideford Atlantic Park development in June.
A GIANT mural has appeared on a wall in Westward Ho! apparently opposing plans for a new Tesco in the village.
The artwork, titled ‘Coming soon to a town or village near you! ..INVASION OF THE SUPERMARKETS!’, is the work of renowned street artist Mau Mau.
It has been painted at the Westward Ho! car park, covering up the existing mural which was painted to mark the turn of the millennium.
The painting, which has been worked on in stages in the dead of night over the last few days, was completed on Monday morning.
You may also want to watch:
The film-like scene depicts the ‘invasion’ of Tesco and features slogans such as ‘Very Little Helps’ with shop fronts boarded up.
Bev Coombes, who started the Say No To Tesco (SNOTT) campaign said she was absolutely delighted to see the artwork.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
“We didn’t know anything about it until it appeared,” she said.
“So many people have been stopping to photograph or video it – some people are even pulling over in their cars to take a better look.
“It is exactly what everybody thinks of Tesco coming here.”
In June, the Gazette reported how a Mau Mau piece of art had appeared on the site of the proposed Atlantic Park development in Bideford.
What do you think of the artwork? Vote in our poll above, comment below, or email email@example.com.