Giant deckchair for busy roundabout?
Businessman puts forward the idea claiming it will draw people to the area.
A LOCAL businessman is hoping his vision of placing an eight-metre high giant deckchair on a busy roundabout would drive visitors to Westward Ho!
Rob Braddick, of Braddick’s Leisure, wants to place the spectacle on the A39 Heywood Roundabout, and has even offered to pay to place it there.
He was inspired after seeing a similar deckchair on Bournemouth beach and believes it would captivate visitors who might normally drive straight past Torridge’s seaside resorts on the way to Cornwall.
He said: “We could put a slogan on it saying something like ‘your holiday starts here’; too many people just drive straight past and don’t even know Westward Ho! is here.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t know how much this chair would cost me yet, but it would be all metal and secure, and it would be high enough that drivers could see under it.
“With Ilfracombe getting Damien Hirst’s statue, we need something quirky to draw people in.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
Mr Braddick has even contemplated contacting Mr Hirst to see if he would create something for the seaside town.
He said: “I’d happily give him the land if he wanted to put something in Westward Ho!
“Or perhaps we could have Verity after she has given birth sat on the deckchair with a baby in her arms and the sword leaning beside her?” he added.
At Bideford Town Council’s meeting on Thursday, further suggestions were also put forward for an iconic monument on the roundabout.
Councillor Peter Christie suggested the idea of a glass lighthouse with signs pointing to Northam and Bideford.
Cllr Christie said the project could be funded using the new Town and Parish (TAP) funding made available when councils work together.
The council agreed to set up a working group with Northam Town Council to discuss the idea of placing a monument on the roundabout.
* What do you think of Mr Braddick’s deckchair idea? Write to us with your opinions at firstname.lastname@example.org or North Devon Gazette, Unit 3, Old Station Road, Barnstaple, EX32 8PB.