Get set for StarTrek
Call for teams to sign up to annual Rotary charity challenge of a night time stroll on Exmoor...
THE call has gone out for teams of trekkers to boldly go where many dedicated fund raisers have gone before as recruitment begins for the 2013 StarTrek night time walk across Exmoor.
Next year the event is on the weekend of March 2/3, with the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal as one of the main charities alongside both North Devon and Children’s hospices. A portion is also divided between other local good causes.
Organised by both Ilfracombe Rotary clubs and, now in its 21st year, StarTrek invites teams of four to six people to take up the after dark orienteering challenge in a 14-16 mile course somewhere on Exmoor.
The aim is to solve clues along the route and as they make their way around the course from checkpoint to checkpoint - while raising as much money as possible by collecting sponsorship for the charities.
The course is normally a figure of eight shape, with refreshments at the halfway point and base camp plus marshals, extensive radio communication and search and rescue plus first aid teams on standby in case of any difficulties.
Teams of friends, corporate teams, community groups and organisations are all welcome to enter. Team members must be aged at least 16, with the team leader aged 18 or over.
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 4 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
- 5 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 6 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 7 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 8 How your legacy can make a difference to our future
- 9 2021 was breakthrough year for Cancer and Wellbeing Fern Centre
- 10 Prize photography competition open for entries
They have promised a different but just as challenging course this time out.
* To apply for next year’s StarTrek fundraiser challenge log onto: www.rotary-startrek.org.uk