Get ready for a ‘wet and blustery’ New Year
- Credit: Getty Images
Scattered showers tonight will make way for heavy, persistent rain on New Year’s Day, forecasters warn.
HEAVY rain forecast for New Year’s Day could cause some flooding in the South West, the Environment Agency has warned.
Scattered blustery showers are expected this evening, although more persistent heavy rain and gale force winds are likely to spread in by dawn.
Rain is expected to spread quickly north-eastwards tomorrow morning accompanied by south-westerly gales of 50-60 mph. The Met Office has issued a ‘yellow’ warning.
The chief forecaster said: “Another active Atlantic frontal system and deepening area of low pressure is expected to push north-eastwards across the UK on Wednesday, followed by active troughs.
You may also want to watch:
“A combination of strong winds and very moist air will give locally significant rainfall accumulations especially over south-facing coasts and hills.
“The more persistent rain should clear eastwards later on Wednesday and overnight into Thursday, but heavy showers will follow on.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 9 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
- 10 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
The Environment Agency said that although most rivers had receded from the peaks seen over Christmas, they are full and the ground is saturated, meaning there is an increased risk of surface and river water flooding.
People travelling this week are also reminded to check the latest flood updates ahead of making journeys and should not drive through dangerous floodwater
Although there are currently no flood warnings in place in North Devon, people can keep up to date with the developing situation by signing up for free flood warnings by contacting Floodline on 0845 9881188.
Alternatively, visit www.environment-agency.gov.uk or follow @EnvAgencySW and #floodaware on Twitter.