Get involved with SAS beach clean
Surfers’ campaign group calls on local people to help with Saunton marine litter pick.
SURFERS Against Sewage are holding one of their annual Big Spring Beach Cleans at Saunton next month.
The surfers’ campaign group has been organising marine litter picks for many years and local people are invited to get involved on March 25 to help make this year’s event the biggest yet.
SAS say the amount of marine litter found on UK beaches has almost doubled in the last 15 years, with around 2,000 litter items found on every kilometre of coastline.
After a long winter of storms, the accumulation of litter can often seem at its worst in the spring.
You may also want to watch:
Hugo Tagholm, SAS executive director, said: “Over the past few years SAS has seen a dramatic rise in the number of community volunteers getting involved with our beach clean programmes.
“Communities want to play their part in tackling the marine litter crisis affecting beautiful beaches everywhere, a visible indicator of the ecological disaster happening in our oceans.”
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
The beach clean at Saunton takes place between 11am and 2pm.
For more information, visit www.sas.org.uk or contact Steve Hagan on 01872 555950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org