Get involved with SAS beach clean
Surfers’ campaign group calls on local people to help with Saunton marine litter pick.
SURFERS Against Sewage are holding one of their annual Big Spring Beach Cleans at Saunton next month.
The surfers’ campaign group has been organising marine litter picks for many years and local people are invited to get involved on March 25 to help make this year’s event the biggest yet.
SAS say the amount of marine litter found on UK beaches has almost doubled in the last 15 years, with around 2,000 litter items found on every kilometre of coastline.
After a long winter of storms, the accumulation of litter can often seem at its worst in the spring.
You may also want to watch:
Hugo Tagholm, SAS executive director, said: “Over the past few years SAS has seen a dramatic rise in the number of community volunteers getting involved with our beach clean programmes.
“Communities want to play their part in tackling the marine litter crisis affecting beautiful beaches everywhere, a visible indicator of the ecological disaster happening in our oceans.”
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
The beach clean at Saunton takes place between 11am and 2pm.
For more information, visit www.sas.org.uk or contact Steve Hagan on 01872 555950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org