George given US op date
Braunton youngster will fly to America for life-changing surgery this October.
BRAUNTON youngster George Palmer will fly to America for life-changing surgery in October.
The four-year-old, who is unable to walk due to cerebral palsy, will now have the chance to use his legs for the first time after the operation at a specialist children’s hospital in Missouri on October 16.
The procedure, known as a selective dorsal rhizotomy (SDR), is not automatically available on the NHS in this country, and involves cutting away the nerve endings that do not work properly.
George’s parents, Nicki and Gary, who launched a fundraising campaign to help pay for the treatment, told the Gazette they were delighted to finally receive confirmation of the date this week.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking from Oxford, where George was undergoing Footsteps therapy, Nicki said: “We now have the full schedule for George’s surgery – we are really chuffed and excited now.”
In June the Gazette reported that a fundraising campaign to help pay for the operation had reached its �55,000 target, but generous donations have continued to pour in to help pay for ongoing treatment, taking the total to more than �73,000.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
George and his parents will fly to the States on Saturday, October 13.
For further details of the appeal, log on to www.georgesfirststeps.com