Gates at Prospect Place in Barnstaple to come down
GATES erected across Prospect Place at Newport in Barnstaple will have to come down after Devon County Council ruled it a public right of way. It overturns a decision in November which decreed the metal barrier could stay, after it was put up by some resi
GATES erected across Prospect Place at Newport in Barnstaple will have to come down after Devon County Council ruled it a public right of way.
It overturns a decision in November which decreed the metal barrier could stay, after it was put up by some residents who were concerned about anti social behaviour and vandalism.
With opinion as divided as the shortcut, a new application to make it a public right of way was submitted by those who said they had used the lane for many years. It was regularly used by Park School pupils as a short cut home.
Councillors at the meeting in County Hall in Exeter voted unanimously to approve the bid after hearing written evidence with 48 deputations from those who said they had used the route as a right of way in the past 20 years.
You may also want to watch:
Some members of the public spoke in support of the bid, but no one stood against it at the meeting.
Barnstaple County Councillor Chris Haywood said in his opinion the right decision had finally been made for the residents of Newport.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 3 Two charged with attempted murder after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 4 Burglars hit Ilfracombe business twice in three days
- 5 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 6 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 9 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
Nearby Rock Park Terrace, made a right of way at the same November meeting and also sporting a metal barrier put up by a resident, is currently going through the legal process in order for its fence to be removed.