Games have the X-factor
NORTH Devon and Torridge youngsters put in star performances at the Devon Games to Inspire 2009, held in Barnstaple on Sunday. Young sports people from the districts competed in 21 different disciplines against eight teams from local authority areas acros
NORTH Devon and Torridge youngsters put in star performances at the Devon Games to Inspire 2009, held in Barnstaple on Sunday.
Young sports people from the districts competed in 21 different disciplines against eight teams from local authority areas across the county. The North Devon team was crowned the overall winner, while the Torridge team took the Fair Play Award.
And while an estimated 1,700 youngsters did their best to shine on the court, park and sports field, X Factor stars Ruth Lorenzo and Diana Vickers lit up a stage at Tarka Tennis Centre.
The singers topped an all-day line-up of musical entertainment and stayed on to hand out the awards to the winning teams; they even performed an unexpected duet, thrilling an estimated 2,000-strong crowd of people who dodged heavy rain showers to cheer them on.
You may also want to watch:
North Devon won two gold medals in the tetrathlon, one for athletics, two for street sports and one for boys' volleyball. They also achieved silver in girls' badminton, hockey, netball, tetrathlon and tennis as well as a bronze medal in girls' cricket.
The Torridge's team took gold in the table tennis and high-five netball, while two members of the tetrathlon team won medals - Laura Butler won gold for the Year 7 and 8 event, while Summer Whiteley won silver.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
Councillor Dick Jones, of event organiser and host North Devon Council, said: "The youngsters who took part in the events are a credit to us all of which we are most proud; they are our future.
"There have been no losers in any of the events; everybody is a winner for making it to the games, taking part and giving it their all.