Games have the X-factor
NORTH Devon and Torridge youngsters put in star performances at the Devon Games to Inspire 2009, held in Barnstaple on Sunday. Young sports people from the districts competed in 21 different disciplines against eight teams from local authority areas acros
NORTH Devon and Torridge youngsters put in star performances at the Devon Games to Inspire 2009, held in Barnstaple on Sunday.
Young sports people from the districts competed in 21 different disciplines against eight teams from local authority areas across the county. The North Devon team was crowned the overall winner, while the Torridge team took the Fair Play Award.
And while an estimated 1,700 youngsters did their best to shine on the court, park and sports field, X Factor stars Ruth Lorenzo and Diana Vickers lit up a stage at Tarka Tennis Centre.
The singers topped an all-day line-up of musical entertainment and stayed on to hand out the awards to the winning teams; they even performed an unexpected duet, thrilling an estimated 2,000-strong crowd of people who dodged heavy rain showers to cheer them on.
You may also want to watch:
North Devon won two gold medals in the tetrathlon, one for athletics, two for street sports and one for boys' volleyball. They also achieved silver in girls' badminton, hockey, netball, tetrathlon and tennis as well as a bronze medal in girls' cricket.
The Torridge's team took gold in the table tennis and high-five netball, while two members of the tetrathlon team won medals - Laura Butler won gold for the Year 7 and 8 event, while Summer Whiteley won silver.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 4 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
Councillor Dick Jones, of event organiser and host North Devon Council, said: "The youngsters who took part in the events are a credit to us all of which we are most proud; they are our future.
"There have been no losers in any of the events; everybody is a winner for making it to the games, taking part and giving it their all.