Gale force winds forecast for Christmas Eve
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
It’s looking like it’s going to be a wet and windy Christmas this year for North Devon...
SANTA could be experiencing some turbulence on his sleigh on Christmas Eve with a weather warning for strong winds in place.
The Met Office has forecast a deep area of low pressure which will bring heavy rain and strong winds to the UK starting Monday morning.
Gusts of up to 70mph are possible across North Devon from 6am on Monday until midday on Christmas Eve (Tuesday).
A chief forecaster at the Met Office said: “An area of low pressure is expected to develop in the Atlantic on Sunday, deepening rapidly to pass just to the North West of the UK on Monday and into Tuesday.
“This will bring stormy conditions to the UK on Monday and Tuesday with the strongest winds likely along coastlines exposed to the south and west.
You may also want to watch:
“Heavy rain is expected with this low pressure system and given recent wet conditions some flooding issues are possible.
“With such a rapid development there remains some uncertainty around the precise depth and track of this system, and hence the areas most likely to be affected by the strongest winds and heavy rain.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 10 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
“This alert is likely to be updated in the coming days.”
Check back for more updates as we have them.