Funeral Directors A.D. Williams celebrate 30 year milestone
- Credit: Raymond Goldsmith
Torridge funeral directors David and Jenny Williams are celebrating 30 years of servicing the community this month.
Beginning in Appledore at Chanters House, Hubbastone Road in 1991, an additional premise was opened on The Pill, Bideford, followed in 2000 by premises in Ilfracombe, an office in Northam in 2015 and Bideford in 2018.
David said that growing up and working in Appledore, working at the shipyard and being a part of the community is very important to him.
"I started my work life as an apprentice electrician before going to sea and then starting work at the shipyard,” said David.
“It was in its heyday with the yard building 16 ships a year, but by the time I left they were taking a year to build one, so I took voluntary redundancy."
You may also want to watch:
"Previous to that two shipyard colleagues had died and I attended their funerals. Watching the proceedings told me that I could do the job, so I moved into the business and here we are 30 years later. Providing this service enables you to meet all sorts of people. It is a very satisfying job and I love it. I only wish I'd discovered it as a school leaver."
He added: “As a company we are dedicated to serve our families at their time of need when they trust us to give their loved one the service they deserve. Being a family run independent funeral directors means we can adapt our services to the needs of the family.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
“We are lucky to have such a wonderful team helping our company to grow. With myself as the main funeral director the company is supported in the Ilfracombe area by Jack Gallagher, who grew up and is well known and respected in the area.”
“Lynsey Wheatley works for us from the Northam office, where she grew up, and is well known for her warmth, compassion and knowledge. Abigail Williams and Terri Doodson work alongside the team to ease the pressures of organising a funeral.”
“We've been here for 30 years and look forward to another 30 years of serving the wonderful people of North Devon. I have no plans to retire.”