Funds are to hand for Combe Martin seafront scheme
Plans for a �150,000 repair and revamp of Newberry promenade at Combe Martin look set to get funding
THE financial pieces of the jigsaw should soon be in place to repair and revamp the Newberry parade on Combe Martin seafront.
Funding of an estimated �77,000 in Devon County Council money secured by local County Councillor Andrea Davis will be matched by Combe Martin Parish through its own money and other grants to pay for the �150,000-plus project.
The popular area overlooking Newberry Beach has been closed for almost four years after becoming dangerous and unsound following years of battering by waves and weather.
The project funding will also include �20,000 from North Devon Council plus �29,500 from the Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE.)
You may also want to watch:
As well as structural repair work to wall and sea defences, the parish council is aiming to repair the former Combe Martin Museum building at Newberry, as well as install water and sewerage facilities, to enable it to be let out.
It is also planned to divert the South West Coastal Path so it goes through the Newberry promenade area and not the main road as it does currently.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 4 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 9 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
Councillor Andrea Davis said she had been concerned that delays to the project would see the loss of county grant money, which was available from the Exeter Airport sale fund.
“It’s a great relief now that it’s really beginning to take off,” she said.
“The Newberry area is an historic feature on the seafront and important to the economy and tourism industry of Combe Martin.”
Parish council chairman Julia Clark said she personally would like to see the work go ahead as quickly as possible once all the monies were in place - subject to the tender process, work schedules and weather – so it could be ready by next season.
“It will have been closed for four years by Easter so obviously we’re eager to get this off the ground and running,” she said.
“I am delighted we have the money and where we are at the moment but I still urge caution as I don’t want anyone to be disappointed.”