Friends' long ride for charity
LIFE-long friends have undertaken a country-spanning cycle ride in support of a Devon deaf charity. Andy Woodward, 47, from Shebbear, and Steve Green, from Maidenhead in Berkshire, cycled the gruelling 957 miles from Land s End in Cornwall to John O Groa
LIFE-long friends have undertaken a country-spanning cycle ride in support of a Devon deaf charity.
Andy Woodward, 47, from Shebbear, and Steve Green, from Maidenhead in Berkshire, cycled the gruelling 957 miles from Land's End in Cornwall to John O' Groats in Scotland, raising �2,500 for the Exeter Royal Academy for Deaf Education.
Andy was inspired to take up the challenge to thank the Academy, which has helped his 21-year-old daughter Christine to lead a normal life.
Christine and mum Lynne travelled with the pair in a back-up vehicle, helping to provide directions and the all-important cups of tea during the 11-day cycle.
You may also want to watch:
Lynne said: "The guys took on this amazing challenge and to be honest, I don't think anyone realised how difficult it would be.
"The hills out of Cornwall and Devon are such an achievement in themselves, let alone when you then reach the Lake District and Scotland. The immense scenery and lochs in Scotland were just stunning, but they never came without a hill running alongside," added Lynne, who visited Shebbear Community Primary with Christine to teach pupils some basic sign language during a special school assembly.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 3 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
"The school held a non-uniform day in support of the ride and we would love other local schools to think about helping the deaf by holding similar events."
Anyone wanting to support Andy and Steve and their charity can visit their Just Giving fund-raising website: www.justgiving.com/lejog-andy-steve-2010