Friendly advice on ‘mate crime’
Courses will show learning disabled how to spot ‘friend from foe’
PEOPLE with learning disabilities are being offered advice to help spot friend from foe.
The free courses are being run by and for the learning disabled and are aimed at preventing vulnerable people from being taken advantage of by others who call themselves “friends”.
Five volunteers have undertaken training with the ARC Safety Net Project, a Government-funded pilot project being run in North Devon to increase awareness about so-called “mate crime”.
Trainer William White said: “A friend is not a friend if they take advantage of you.”
You may also want to watch:
Fellow trainer Patrick Sellick added: “Some people might use your disability and take your stuff.”
The project team has been meeting in Barnstaple for two years and has been working to raise awareness about the problem of mate crime. The team organised a march in Barnstaple during Learning Disability Week in June, which was attended by more than 150 people.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 5 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 6 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 Ton-up Brend helps Bideford set early pace
- 10 MP welcomes free virtual funding workshop for North Devon charities
“We want to give people information and the confidence to talk about it but we don’t want to scare people,” said Sharon Luke, one of the trainers.
Courses will run for the rest of the year, and the team now wants to hear from people wanting the training. The courses will be free and people can either book on to a course or host one of their own if there is a group of them.
You can find out more about mate crime at www.arcsafety.net
To book a course contact Rod Landman by email firstname.lastname@example.org