Freezing temperatures expected across Devon overnight
DEVON County Council has issued a warning of icy roads as temperatures are set to plummet to as low as – 3C overnight.
DEVON County Council has issued a warning of icy roads as temperatures are set to plummet to as low as - 3C overnight.
The county council's gritters started salting the major routes on the pre-salting network from 4pm onwards, covering around 1,650 miles across the county.
Following yesterday's downpours, water run-off is expected on roads which could cause icy patches. Gritting teams will be inspecting roads in the early hours to treat wet patches, but motorists are being advised to continue to drive with care.
Councillor Margaret Rogers, Devon County Council Executive Member for Environment, said: "With the amount of surface water that was around yesterday our teams are out again tonight to keep roads as clear as possible, but water run-off may leave some roads icy. The forecast shows that the weather over the next few days will be more settled but temperatures will be colder overnight so motorists must remember to drive with caution."
You may also want to watch:
Motorists are being reminded of the following advice:
* Avoid overnight travel unless absolutely essential as roads will always be more hazardous at night with less traffic and colder temperatures;
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
* Never assume a road has been salted - remember that showers or rain will wash salt off roads leaving them prone to ice. In very cold weather even salting will not stop ice from forming;
* Allow extra time for your journey and reduce your speed;
* Drive with care and according to the conditions.
For information on winter driving conditions see: