Free tests kits in North Devon's fight against chlamydia
YOUNG people in North Devon are being urged to pick up free chlamydia self-test kits from their local pharmacies in the fight against the UK s most common sexually transmitted infection. The kits are available to people aged 16-24 from Sainsbury s Pharmacy
YOUNG people in North Devon are being urged to pick up free chlamydia self-test kits from their local pharmacy in the fight against the UK's most common sexually transmitted infection.
The kits are available to people aged 16-24 from Sainsbury's Pharmacy at Roundswell Business Centre, Barnstaple; Lloyds Pharmacy in the High Street, Ilfracombe; and Boots Pharmacy in the High Street, Bideford.
Beccy Lyons, NHS Devon's chlamydia screening co-ordinator, said: "We know young people are not always keen to discuss their sexual health with a pharmacist or health worker, so they can now pick a kit up from our pink and blue bins. The chlamydia test is simple - all you have to do is take away the kit, pee in a pot for men or take a vaginal swab for women, fill in the attached form, and post it back to the chlamydia screening office, freepost.
"You can choose how you'd like to receive your results - either by SMS text or e-mail - all in complete confidence. Chlamydia is a growing problem for young people, but it can be easily treated through a short course of antibiotics, available free for under 25s through the NHS."
You may also want to watch:
Chlamydia is the most commonly diagnosed sexually transmitted infection in the UK and if left untreated can cause back pain and can lead to infertility in women.
Young people can also be screened for chlamydia at their local GP practice, minor injuries unit or online at www.checkinitout.co.uk.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 9 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand