Free tests kits in North Devon's fight against chlamydia
YOUNG people in North Devon are being urged to pick up free chlamydia self-test kits from their local pharmacies in the fight against the UK s most common sexually transmitted infection. The kits are available to people aged 16-24 from Sainsbury s Pharmacy
YOUNG people in North Devon are being urged to pick up free chlamydia self-test kits from their local pharmacy in the fight against the UK's most common sexually transmitted infection.
The kits are available to people aged 16-24 from Sainsbury's Pharmacy at Roundswell Business Centre, Barnstaple; Lloyds Pharmacy in the High Street, Ilfracombe; and Boots Pharmacy in the High Street, Bideford.
Beccy Lyons, NHS Devon's chlamydia screening co-ordinator, said: "We know young people are not always keen to discuss their sexual health with a pharmacist or health worker, so they can now pick a kit up from our pink and blue bins. The chlamydia test is simple - all you have to do is take away the kit, pee in a pot for men or take a vaginal swab for women, fill in the attached form, and post it back to the chlamydia screening office, freepost.
"You can choose how you'd like to receive your results - either by SMS text or e-mail - all in complete confidence. Chlamydia is a growing problem for young people, but it can be easily treated through a short course of antibiotics, available free for under 25s through the NHS."
You may also want to watch:
Chlamydia is the most commonly diagnosed sexually transmitted infection in the UK and if left untreated can cause back pain and can lead to infertility in women.
Young people can also be screened for chlamydia at their local GP practice, minor injuries unit or online at www.checkinitout.co.uk.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 4 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 10 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction