Free shore safari to meet North Devon's coastal denizens!
A free Shore Safari to meet some of the weird and wonderful life to be found on the North Devon coastline will be held on Wednesday (April 14) at Barricane beach in Woolacombe. The session will be led by new shore safari guides, members of Coastwise North
A free Shore Safari to meet some of the weird and wonderful life to be found on the North Devon coastline will be held on Wednesday (April 14) at Barricane beach in Woolacombe.
The session will be led by new shore safari guides, members of Coastwise North Devon whose training has been funded by the North Devon Coast AONB sustainable development fund.
The guides will be running a series of free summer events to introduce anyone who wishes to the flora and fauna of the local shoreline.
This is the first "safari" the new guides have held and it is also celebrating the 50th birthday of the AONB at the end of its anniversary year. The event will take place at Barricane between 10.30am-12.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
The stretch of coast from Croyde to Combe Martin is designated a Voluntary Marine Conservation Area, but there are few opportunities for local people and visitors to find out more.
To help meet this gap Coastwise members have developed their own knowledge with a series of professionally-run training activities so that they can pass this on to others.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
The event is free and all are welcome, although those aged under 18 must be accompanied by an adult and participants will be responsible for their own safety.
Identity guides will be available, with nets and buckets provided. Clothing appropriate to the weather should be worn and wellies or other suitable footwear.
To book a place call Coastwise project co-ordinator Jim Monroe on (01271) 882078 or 07889 134466, giving contact details in the event of bad weather. Find out more about Coastwise at www.coastwisenorthdevon.org.uk.