Free parking in Torridge towns
Council deal to help hard-pressed traders
FREE parking is continuing in some of Torridgeside’s car parks as the district council bids to provide a helping hand to hard-pressed businesses.
The council is reminding residents that free parking is available on Saturday afternoons and all day on Sundays.
Sydney House car park in Torrington, Manor car park in Holsworthy and The Pill car park in Bideford are all part of a scheme started this spring to help bring people back into towns to do their weekend shopping.
Torridge’s lead member for the economy, Councillor Roger Johnson, said: “Although the council is obviously seeing reduced revenue because of this, we want to support our local businesses during this current economic climate and to see them thrive in the future. We hope that parking concessions such as this will encourage locals and visitors into our towns at the weekends. Christmas will soon be here and it’s a chance to get to know your town, have a browse around the local shops, stay for a coffee, have lunch or take the kids to the park – there’s plenty to do in all three of our market towns.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Geoff Lee, parking services project leader, added: “We know car parking can be an emotive subject, but the Car Park Working Group at Torridge works very hard to come up with ideas that we believe are best for everyone. For next year there will be no increase in parking charges in Torridge car parks, so I hope that, too, will continue to encourage residents and visitors into our local town centres.
“In December, during the run up to Christmas, there will be extra free parking days in Torrington, Bideford, Holsworthy and Northam car parks as well. See our website for details nearer the time.”
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
Free weekend parking begins at 12 noon on Saturdays and all day Sundays. There is a two-hour limit in The Pill car park in Bideford, but no restrictions in Sydney House and Manor car parks in Torrington and Holsworthy.
For more information go to www.torridge.gov.uk/parking or call (01237) 428895.