Free parking in Torridge towns
Council deal to help hard-pressed traders
FREE parking is continuing in some of Torridgeside’s car parks as the district council bids to provide a helping hand to hard-pressed businesses.
The council is reminding residents that free parking is available on Saturday afternoons and all day on Sundays.
Sydney House car park in Torrington, Manor car park in Holsworthy and The Pill car park in Bideford are all part of a scheme started this spring to help bring people back into towns to do their weekend shopping.
Torridge’s lead member for the economy, Councillor Roger Johnson, said: “Although the council is obviously seeing reduced revenue because of this, we want to support our local businesses during this current economic climate and to see them thrive in the future. We hope that parking concessions such as this will encourage locals and visitors into our towns at the weekends. Christmas will soon be here and it’s a chance to get to know your town, have a browse around the local shops, stay for a coffee, have lunch or take the kids to the park – there’s plenty to do in all three of our market towns.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Geoff Lee, parking services project leader, added: “We know car parking can be an emotive subject, but the Car Park Working Group at Torridge works very hard to come up with ideas that we believe are best for everyone. For next year there will be no increase in parking charges in Torridge car parks, so I hope that, too, will continue to encourage residents and visitors into our local town centres.
“In December, during the run up to Christmas, there will be extra free parking days in Torrington, Bideford, Holsworthy and Northam car parks as well. See our website for details nearer the time.”
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
Free weekend parking begins at 12 noon on Saturdays and all day Sundays. There is a two-hour limit in The Pill car park in Bideford, but no restrictions in Sydney House and Manor car parks in Torrington and Holsworthy.
For more information go to www.torridge.gov.uk/parking or call (01237) 428895.