Free fun at Barnstaple museum
DANCING on the Square, flying flags and even making a pom pom sheep are some of the free events taking place at the North Devon Museum in Barnstaple during May. Young visitors will have the chance to learn all about Labour Day and May Day as well as en
DANCING on the Square, flying flags and even making a pom pom sheep are some of the free events taking place at the North Devon Museum in Barnstaple during May.
Young visitors will have the chance to learn all about Labour Day and May Day as well as enjoy some art and craft activities using wool and fabric as part of the museum's play programme.
The sessions are:
* May Day madness, Saturday 1 May, 10am to 12 noon
You may also want to watch:
Bring the whole family along to the museum and learn about the history of Labour Day and May Day. Have a go at making flags and banners, as well as dancing round the may pole and morris dancing on The Square. There's no need to book, just turn up on the day.
* Wool and fabric fun, Tuesday 11 May, various sessions available
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 9 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
- 10 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
Pre-school children are invited to have a go at some textile art and craft actvities. Try
making pom pom sheep, sewing, weaving and even help to make a vintage mini quilt.
The session will finish off with a quiz, where the children will be asked "What's it made
off?" There are three, one hour sessions available at 9.30am, 11.30am and 1.30pm.
Booking with the museum is essential on 01271 346747.
Julian Vayne, Learning and Outreach Officer at the North Devon Museum, said: "As the weather warms up, why not come and check out what's happening at the museum? All the activities are free, so it's the perfect opportunity to try something new.
"There's also loads more fun to come this summer in both Barnstaple and Ilfracombe so if you don't want to miss out, you can leave us your details and we can let you know about forthcoming events."
This month's event are being delivered by Playworks.uk as part of Project Panda, bringing free play activities into North Devon. Funding has been provided by the Big Lottery Fund.