Free fun at Barnstaple museum
DANCING on the Square, flying flags and even making a pom pom sheep are some of the free events taking place at the North Devon Museum in Barnstaple during May. Young visitors will have the chance to learn all about Labour Day and May Day as well as en
DANCING on the Square, flying flags and even making a pom pom sheep are some of the free events taking place at the North Devon Museum in Barnstaple during May.
Young visitors will have the chance to learn all about Labour Day and May Day as well as enjoy some art and craft activities using wool and fabric as part of the museum's play programme.
The sessions are:
* May Day madness, Saturday 1 May, 10am to 12 noon
You may also want to watch:
Bring the whole family along to the museum and learn about the history of Labour Day and May Day. Have a go at making flags and banners, as well as dancing round the may pole and morris dancing on The Square. There's no need to book, just turn up on the day.
* Wool and fabric fun, Tuesday 11 May, various sessions available
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 6 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
Pre-school children are invited to have a go at some textile art and craft actvities. Try
making pom pom sheep, sewing, weaving and even help to make a vintage mini quilt.
The session will finish off with a quiz, where the children will be asked "What's it made
off?" There are three, one hour sessions available at 9.30am, 11.30am and 1.30pm.
Booking with the museum is essential on 01271 346747.
Julian Vayne, Learning and Outreach Officer at the North Devon Museum, said: "As the weather warms up, why not come and check out what's happening at the museum? All the activities are free, so it's the perfect opportunity to try something new.
"There's also loads more fun to come this summer in both Barnstaple and Ilfracombe so if you don't want to miss out, you can leave us your details and we can let you know about forthcoming events."
This month's event are being delivered by Playworks.uk as part of Project Panda, bringing free play activities into North Devon. Funding has been provided by the Big Lottery Fund.