Four rescued from blazing hotel
Fifty-four people evacuated in early morning drama in Bideford
FOUR people were rescued by fire fighters from the roof of Tantons Hotel in Bideford when fire broke out early this morning (Tuesday).
Witnesses heard cries for help and saw flames coming from the prominent building on the town’s riverside.
Eight fire appliances from around the area plus an aerial appliance from Barnstaple rushed to the hotel to tackle the blaze, which broke out on the third floor.
Fifty-four people were evacuated and taken to the Royal Hotel on the other side of old Bideford Bridge.
You may also want to watch:
At 5am fire crews were wearing breathing apparatus and four hose reels plus an aerial ladder were in use.
At 6.15am two hose reels were in use and the crews confirmed that everyone had been accounted for.
- 1 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 2 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 3 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 4 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 5 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 6 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 7 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 8 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
The road alongside the hotel has been closed.
Police have arrested a 58-year-old man at the scene on suspicion of arson and he is currently in custody at Barnstaple Custody Centre.
The fire service remains at the scene damping down and police crime scene investigators and fire investigators will later carry out a crime scene investigation.
Keep checking the Gazette website for more updates.