Four-legged employee joins charity
- Credit: Archant
New arrival at Meeth Quarry to delight of Devon Wildlife Trust staff.
A new four-legged member of staff has joined Devon Wildlife Trust at the charity’s Meeth Quarry nature reserve, near Hatherleigh.
Early on Monday morning one of its six pedigree Exmoor ponies gave birth to a colt foal, with mother and son doing well.
“I’ve been on ‘foal watch’ for awhile now, but of course the baby arrived very early on Bank Holiday Monday when no one was around,” said nature reserve officer Ian Chadwick.
“Our next job is to name the foal. With the mother being called ‘Liquorice’ we plan to carry on with a tradition of sweet names. The frontrunners at the moment are ‘Fudge’, ‘Toffee’ and ‘Rock’.
You may also want to watch:
“The herd are our unpaid workforce at Meeth. They work 24 hours a day, seven days a week munching the rank grasses and scrubby shrubs which would otherwise quickly overwhelm the nature reserve’s open areas.”
Meeth Quarry is Devon Wildlife Trust’s most recent acquisition, purchased in December using funds from Viridor Credits Environmental Company and local donors. At 150 hectares it is one of the largest of its reserves.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 6 Staff at Wimpy Barnstaple receive special bonus
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby receives parliamentary promotion
- 8 Dignitaries formally open Penrose Almshouses in Barnstaple
- 9 Mercy for Lynton farm shop keeper who grew cannabis
- 10 Extinction Rebellion celebrate Big Green Week in Barnstaple
The charity has installed trails for walkers, wheelchair users and cyclists, linking to the Tarka Trail which passes through the site.
A free open event is taking place at the reserve on Friday, May 31 between 10.30am and 4.30pm, with all welcome.