Forum members enjoy factory visit
THE members of Northam and District Men s Forum enjoyed a talk with a difference after being invited for a tour of historic Barnstaple factory Leaderflush Shapland. The group s programme secretary Chris Walke had written to site director Rob Llewellyn ask
THE members of Northam and District Men's Forum enjoyed a talk with a difference after being invited for a tour of historic Barnstaple factory Leaderflush Shapland.
The group's programme secretary Chris Walke had written to site director Rob Llewellyn asking if he might come and talk to the forum, which meets every Thursday at the Methodist Hall in Northam.
Instead he was delighted when Mr Llewellyn suggested members might enjoy a tour of the Barnstaple door manufacturer, whose famous furniture making history stretches back to the 19th century.
"A lot of our members recall the old Shapland and we would all like to thank Mr Llewellyn and the company for inviting us," said Chris.
You may also want to watch:
"This visit is the last event in our programme, which runs from October to May and we always try to ensure we have an interesting range of talks to entertain our members when we meet on Thursday mornings."
Mr Llewellyn said the day had been a great success and that it had been inspiring to be reminded of the heritage and importance the business had brought to the area in its long history.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
Sadly the group's numbers are declining and the forum would love to hear from any men ion the Northam or surrounding areas who would like to "sign oin" for the new autumn season.
"We have just over 50 members, but once had more than 100 and waiting list, so we would like to encourage more," added Chris.
To find out more about Northam and District Men's Forum, contact Chris Walke on (01237) 476201.