Forum members enjoy factory visit
THE members of Northam and District Men s Forum enjoyed a talk with a difference after being invited for a tour of historic Barnstaple factory Leaderflush Shapland. The group s programme secretary Chris Walke had written to site director Rob Llewellyn ask
THE members of Northam and District Men's Forum enjoyed a talk with a difference after being invited for a tour of historic Barnstaple factory Leaderflush Shapland.
The group's programme secretary Chris Walke had written to site director Rob Llewellyn asking if he might come and talk to the forum, which meets every Thursday at the Methodist Hall in Northam.
Instead he was delighted when Mr Llewellyn suggested members might enjoy a tour of the Barnstaple door manufacturer, whose famous furniture making history stretches back to the 19th century.
"A lot of our members recall the old Shapland and we would all like to thank Mr Llewellyn and the company for inviting us," said Chris.
You may also want to watch:
"This visit is the last event in our programme, which runs from October to May and we always try to ensure we have an interesting range of talks to entertain our members when we meet on Thursday mornings."
Mr Llewellyn said the day had been a great success and that it had been inspiring to be reminded of the heritage and importance the business had brought to the area in its long history.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
Sadly the group's numbers are declining and the forum would love to hear from any men ion the Northam or surrounding areas who would like to "sign oin" for the new autumn season.
"We have just over 50 members, but once had more than 100 and waiting list, so we would like to encourage more," added Chris.
To find out more about Northam and District Men's Forum, contact Chris Walke on (01237) 476201.