Former Bideford pastor dies aged 100
- Credit: Archant
Final farewells will be said to the centenarian at the Bideford church in which he preached for 10 years.
THE funeral of a Bideford centenarian will be held at the church at which he preached for 10 years.
Reginald Benger, who was a resident at the Golden Sands Residential Home in Westward Ho! passed away peacefully on Monday, February 24.
Mr Benger spent his career as a research chemist at Imperial Chemical Industries but upon moving to Bideford he began working for the Bethel Church in East-the-Water.
Mr Benger preached at the church for 10 years and was a father of three, grandfather of five and great-grandfather of seven.
You may also want to watch:
His son Richard said: “Like all good dads he shared his loves and enthusiasms with his children, and in particular both he and my mother Ursula encouraged music.
“Dad wasn’t a performer but tried piano lessons and when I was young he bought a violin with a hope to playing it.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“I took it up instead and have recently been playing on the same instrument which I am still glad to own.”
Mr Benger’s funeral will be held at The Bethel Evangelical Free Church in Bideford at 2pm on Wednesday with donations to the Tear Fund or Christian Aid.