Food waste recycling on the menu in Torridge
PEOPLE across Torridge will soon be able to recycle their food waste as the district council rolls out its new collection service. Throughout October and November, residents on green bin routes will be issued with a five-litre kitchen caddy and a roll of
PEOPLE across Torridge will soon be able to recycle their food waste as the district council rolls out its new collection service.
Throughout October and November, residents on green bin routes will be issued with a
five-litre kitchen caddy and a roll of 10 cornstarch bags to line it, reducing the potential for odours.
Meat, including chicken bones, fish, cooked food waste, vegetable peelings, salad, fruit, tea, tea bags, coffee grounds and filters, egg shells, stale bread and crusts can all be placed in the kitchen caddie and green bin, which will be collected once a fortnight all year round.
You may also want to watch:
But residents are asked to wait until they receive their kitchen caddy before starting to recycle their food waste.
Lead Member for Recycling Adam Symons, said: "Roughly a third of our rubbish is food waste. If you chuck it in the rubbish bin, it will be taken to landfill where it rots and gives off methane, which is a major greenhouse gas. Now that we have access to a local composting plant we are able to recycle that food waste instead. Using new in-vessel composting technology, we can now take it all and turn it into sterile and usable compost. A big bonus is that by putting your food waste in your green wheelie bin you will get less smelly black bags and they won't attract animals which often rip the bags open."
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 9 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 10 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
Torridge is holding a series of roadshows throughout the district as the food caddies are delivered to local households.
For more information contact Torridge's Recycling Team on (01237) 428734.