Flood damage closes Westward Ho! slipway car park
- Credit: Archant
Torridge District Council cordons off parking spaces amid fears the high tides have caused damage under car park.
THE slipway car park in Westward Ho! has been closed following fears the recent high tides have caused damage beneath it.
Torridge District Council leader, Cllr Phillip Collins, said the line of spaces facing the beach and pebble ridge had been cordoned off as a safety precaution.
He said: “This has been closed as we believe the sea may have caused damage underneath which could obviously affect the safety.
“We put a barrier up across the entrance yesterday, as well as ‘closed’ signs, but the barrier has since been removed (by whom we don’t know) and our signs have been driven over and squashed by cars entering the car park.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll be putting up a new fence to cordon off only the area affected – the line of spaces closest to and facing the pebble ridge and beach – and then the rest of the car park can be used as normal.
“Our primary concern is of course the safety of the public, so I would urge them to please take notice of any signage and respect that the fencing is there to protect them.”
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed