Flood damage closes Westward Ho! slipway car park
- Credit: Archant
Torridge District Council cordons off parking spaces amid fears the high tides have caused damage under car park.
THE slipway car park in Westward Ho! has been closed following fears the recent high tides have caused damage beneath it.
Torridge District Council leader, Cllr Phillip Collins, said the line of spaces facing the beach and pebble ridge had been cordoned off as a safety precaution.
He said: “This has been closed as we believe the sea may have caused damage underneath which could obviously affect the safety.
“We put a barrier up across the entrance yesterday, as well as ‘closed’ signs, but the barrier has since been removed (by whom we don’t know) and our signs have been driven over and squashed by cars entering the car park.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll be putting up a new fence to cordon off only the area affected – the line of spaces closest to and facing the pebble ridge and beach – and then the rest of the car park can be used as normal.
“Our primary concern is of course the safety of the public, so I would urge them to please take notice of any signage and respect that the fencing is there to protect them.”
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 10 Man dies in crash involving bicycle and car in Bideford