Flood alerts issued around North Devon for the weekend
It’s going to be a wet weekend as the Met Office issues a yellow weather warning with heavy rainfall.
THE Environment Agency has issued further flood warnings for areas around North Devon today (Friday).
Approximately 20 to 30mm of rain is forecast to fall between 5pm today and 6am on Saturday.
The Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning across the whole of Devon and Cornwall until Monday.
A warning of possible flooding has been issued for the lower River Taw, the lower River Torridge and the Barnstaple, Braunton and Combe Martin Area.
The warnings also cover the Rivers Caen, Bradiford Water, Yeo and coastal streams from Braunton to Combe Martin.
The Lower River Taw and its tributaries from Newnham Bridge to Barnstaple, including Umberleigh, Chittlehampton, Swimbridge and Bishop’s Tawton areas, are also covered by a warning.
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 4 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
- 5 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 6 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 7 How your legacy can make a difference to our future
- 8 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 9 2021 was breakthrough year for Cancer and Wellbeing Fern Centre
- 10 Prize photography competition open for entries
The Environment Agency said: “Catchments are already wet and are very reactive to rainfall.
“Rain will clear from Saturday morning giving a brief dry spell before more rain follows later in the day.
“Further bands of rain will persist through Sunday and into Monday.
“River levels are expected to rise in response to the rain overnight.
“Further rainfall over the weekend means rivers will continue to be topped up. “Flooding is possible this evening and through the night.”
Spotted any flooding in your area? Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @Northdevon24