Five shouts in four days for Ilfracombe lifeboat
- Credit: RNLI/Ilfracombe
Broken down yachts, trawlers and kayakers keep Ilfracombe’s volunteer RNLI crews busy...
ILFRACOMBE RNLI lifeboat crews have notched up their 50th shout of the year and the fifth in just four days.
The latest incident saw the all weather lifeboat Spirit of Derbyshire called out to the yacht Tanglin after her engine failed some two miles north of Combe Martin.
She had been returning home to Penarth, but with little wind and strong spring tides, it was decided to launch the lifeboat just after 3.40pm, to tow her to Ilfracombe Harbour.
A couple of days before that, the crew dashed to help local trawler Our Josie Grace, which had suffered major mechanical and was drifting some 25 miles from Ilfracombe.
You may also want to watch:
At about 11.30pm the lifeboat attached a tow and made a much slower journey back to Ilfracombe, returning the trawler to her berth at around 6am.
Many of the volunteer crew who had been working all night then went straight to work at their day jobs.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 6 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 7 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 10 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
Other shouts during the four days included call outs to kayakers in difficulty and towing another yacht with engine failure to safety.