Five North Devon ghost stories for Halloween
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Paranormal pubs, haunted hotels and ghostly sightings in North Devon. Read on, if you dare…
There are many North Devon ghost stories and haunted hotels and pubs, and as it’s Halloween, we thought we would share a few.
From spooky pubs to things that go bump in the night, here’s our top five tales of North Devon hauntings...
1. ‘Most haunted’ pub in North Devon
The Devil’s Stone Inn in Shebbear is reported to be on the most haunted pubs in the UK. It gets its name from the nearby Devil Stone, a huge rock which, as myth had it, dropped from the devil’s pocket as he fell from heaven to hell. Stories surrounding the spooky 17th century former farmhouse include an elderly coachman in the restaurant area, a grumpy old man in an upstairs bedroom and a little girl who wanted to play hide and seek. Oh, and the pub is also up for sale, if any ghost-fans were thinking of a change of career….
2.Ilfracombe’s haunted hotel
You may also want to watch:
Chambercombe Manor in Ilfracombe is a reportedly haunted hotel which offers special paranormal visits, and has even featured on Living TV’s Most Haunted series. Legend has it, the haunted room adjoins what used to be the bedroom of Lady Jane Grey. The story goes that a tenant in 1738 was making some repairs to the room when he discovered the outline of window with no corresponding room. The chamber was later found with the skeleton of a woman laying on the bed, spooky!
3. Unexplained noises
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 7 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
The Thatched Inn in Abbotsham, which always puts on a spectacular Halloween display, has had reports of the sound of disembodies footsteps, and the noise of clinking glasses from an empty room. A freaky tale, or alcoholic ghost? Dare you visit the pub to see for yourself?
4. Ghosts on Link Road
Have you seen the running figure at Aller Cross? According to the paranormal database, in November last year a witness reported spotting a figure running from the top of the hill into the A361 North Devon Link Road. But when they reached the spot, no one could be seen in any direction…
5. Haunted Barnstaple
And also on the paranormal database are several reports of ghost sightings in Barnstaple! In the early 2000s, there were reports of a spirit at work within Barnstaple Cinema, believed to be that of a worker who fell from the roof during repair work in 1931 and later died. In the late 1970s, a large black cat was also reported to be seen loitering close to the town centre near Barnstaple Civic Centre. And in Barnstaple Guildhall, a medium named two ghosts haunting the council buildings.
Have you got any spooky stories to tell? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or post them on our Facebook page here.