Fisheries post for councillor allergic to fish
CONSERVATIVE county councillor Alison Boyle from Appledore has accepted an invitation to serve on the Devon Sea Fisheries Committee – despite being allergic to fish! Alison has strong connections with the sea. She worked in her father s former shipbui
CONSERVATIVE county councillor Alison Boyle from
Appledore has accepted an invitation to serve on the Devon Sea Fisheries Committee - despite being allergic to fish!
Alison has strong connections with the sea. She worked in her father's former shipbuilding yard in the fishing port of Appledore, with its newly built fish dock which serves the local area. And nearby Lundy Island is part of her county constituency.
Although she is unable to eat fish she had grown up with boats and fishing and was committed to the fishing industry, said Cllr Boyle. She was also involved with the local Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and making sure the environment was looked after.
You may also want to watch:
By joining the committee she would be involved in helping to find a sensible balance, she said.
"Having witnessed the pressures on the fishing industry in the l980s and 90s, but having also been made aware of the urgent need to protect stocks and the environment, it is essential to find the right balance that provides security for both those in the area who depend on the fishing industry and the survival of the natural world. I am delighted to have been asked to serve on the committee.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
"Although I have to avoid eating fish, I feel this does underline my commitment," she said.