First shout of 2016 for Ilfracombe lifeboats
- Credit: Archant
Both crews search for ‘missing person’ after jacket spotted off Wildersmouth beach
The fear that someone had fallen into the sea prompted Ilfracombe inshore lifeboat’s first shout of 2016, just 12 hours into New Year’s Day.
The Deborah Brown II, was launched at 12.21pm to reports of an object spotted off Wildersmouth beach, summoning crew members from their New Year lunches.
The object was identified as a black jacket and with visibility reducing, the all weather lifeboat The Barry and Peggy High Foundation, was launched at 1.30pm.
Both boats continued to search the area until crews were satisfied no one was in danger.
You may also want to watch:
Ilfracombe all weather lifeboat coxswain Andrew Bengey said it was a call with good intent: “We would always rather be called and check these things out than be called too late; it is always valuable training for us. I would like to thanks the crews for their dedication on a bank holiday being called away from their families,” he said.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park