First North Devon Marathon was great success
The first North Devon AONB Marathon and half-marathon raised a staggering �27,000 for North Devon Hospice, it has been revealed
A total of 370 runners from far and wide took part in the first North Devon AONB Marathon and Half-Marathon events in June and raised a total of �27,000 for North Devon Hospice in the process, it has been revealed.
The event was organised to mark the 50th anniversary of the North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
But such was its success that a date has already been fixed for next year. It will be held on Sunday, June 26, 2011.
Hospice head of fund-raising Ali Hunt said the success of the first marathon was due to the hard work of organiser Simon Oliver, from St John’s Garden Centre, Barnstaple, the support of sponsors and the dedication of all the runners.
You may also want to watch:
“The weather on the day was glorious with hot sunshine,” she said. “The route followed extensive sections of the Soouth West Coast Path with magnificent views of the beaches and sea around Croyde, Woolacombe, Saunton, Putsborough, Woolacombe and Lee.
“Runners came from as far afield as Sweden, America, South Africa and Australia to enjoy the unique beauty of this race. In total, 245 runners completed the half-marathon and 135 brave souls the full marathon.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 6 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 7 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 8 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
“It was excellent to see a strong local presence with Peter Hockin and Vicky Skelton th first man and woman to complete the marathon.”
Anyone who would like to enter next year’s event can register now by calling the North Devon Hospice fund-raising team on (01271) 347213 or visiting www.northdevonmarathon.co.uk