First nominations in for North Devon Healthcare Hero Awards
- Credit: Archant
Get your nominations in to recognise those NHS workers who have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
THE first nominations for the Healthcare Hero Awards have arrived, but we’re still asking you to get in touch to nominate those who have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
The awards, run by the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust in association with the North Devon Gazette, are open for any of the 4,500 employees across North Devon and Torridge.
Mike Lovatt, senior pharmacy technician (technical services) at North Devon District Hospital, has been nominated for four decades of dedicated work.
His colleague Mark Phillips, senior quality assurance technician, made the nomination and said: “Mike has worked in the pharmacy, originally at North Devon Infirmary and currently at NDDH, for 40 years.
You may also want to watch:
“As a member of the technical services team, he is not a frontline member of staff, so his excellent work often goes unseen and unappreciated.
“Mike has been preparing chemotherapy for patients ever since the pharmacy acquired its first ‘safety cabinet’ in the 1980s, which was originally situated in the treatment room on Glossop Ward.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
“He is still preparing chemo now in the purpose-built facility within the pharmacy technical services unit and is a key member of the team.”
Mike’s dedication to the job is clear, as he arrived early to work and often returns from his lunch break before he’s due, said Mark.
“He is always flexible to meet the needs of patients,” he said.
“Mike goes about his work with a smile on his face and is a popular and much respected member of the department who deserves recognition for his dedicated service.”
The nominations are open to any member of staff, from doctors and therapists to porters and cleaners – although GP surgeries are not included.
The Trust runs North Devon District Hospital, as well as hospitals in Bideford, South Molton, Ilfracombe, Torrington and Holsworthy.
It also runs the Lynton Resource Centre, and community nursing and therapy teams across the area.
To nominate your Healthcare Hero by December 31, email reporter Sarah Howells at email@example.com, or write to Healthcare Hero, C/O Sarah Howells, North Devon Gazette, Unit 3, Old Station Road, Barnstaple, Devon EX32 8PB.