Firm honoured for ‘all-abilities’ approach
- Credit: Archant
Waste management company recognised as ‘top’ employer.
SOUTH West Metals and Waste Recycling (SWM) has been presented with a Pluss Employer of the Year award for helping disabled people into work.
The Barnstaple-based independent waste management firm has employed four disabled people through social enterprise company Pluss.
It is hoped that a further two trainees will secure permanent employment in the next six months.
The company has also hosted 10 work experience placements and has made a commitment to ongoing work experience at all its sites including in Bideford, Barnstaple and South Molton.
You may also want to watch:
Shawn Akers, director at SWM, was presented with the award on behalf of the organisation by North Devon MP Nick Harvey on Friday morning.
Mr Akers said: “Offering work experience and paid employment to individuals with learning difficulties and disabilities is challenging but immensely rewarding as well.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
“We have seen many benefits from the relationship; quite apart from being able to recruit from a sizeable talent pool, we have been able to enhance and improve our own mentoring skills, have been able to test our risk assessments and safe systems of work in a real and meaningful way, and have ensured our policies and procedures are open, transparent and fair to all.”
Pluss Barnstaple manager, Marise Mackie, said: “SWM have demonstrated time and time again to be a really positive and inclusive employer of disabled people – their ethos comes from the very top and permeates throughout every department.
“SWM always focuses on skills and ability - never on disability. They are always willing to give people a chance.”