Firefighters rescue man from Bideford flat
Fire chiefs praise neighbours for raising alarm
A MAN was rescued from his flat in Pynes Lane, Bideford, on Wednesday night after firefighters were called to the property by concerned neighbours who could hear a fire alarm sounding, but were unable to contact the occupier.
Two fire crews from Bideford fire station attended the incident just after 10.30pm.
Firefighters made forced entry into the smoke-filled flat and assisted the resident, who was uninjured, out into fresh air.
They then re-entered the flat with a hose reel and wearing breathing apparatus, to deal with a small fire in the kitchen, which is believed to have been caused by food left on an unattended grill.
You may also want to watch:
Smoke was cleared from the flat using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
Watch Commander Dave Slade praised the actions of the neighbours in alerting the fire service and said the presence of working smoke alarms in the property clearly helped to avert a more serious incident.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened