Firefighters at Parkham barn blaze throughout the night
FIREFIGHTERS from Bideford, Appledore and Hartland, a compressed air foam appliance from Torrington and a support unit from Ilfracombe were called to a hay barn on fire in Parkham on Sunday night.
The incident involved a single storey barn measuring some 50 metres by 15 metres, containing a large quantity of hay, straw and agricultural vehicles, which was well alight.
Called out shortly before 9pm, they remained at the scene in Chapel Road, Parkham, throughout the night and into Monday afternoon.
A specialist hazardous materials and environmental pollution officer and a fire investigation officer were also mobilised.
Torridge District Council environmental health department was informed that there was a minor grade of asbestos involved at the incident and the Environment Agency was informed that compressed air foam was being used.
You may also want to watch:
By 1am on Monday the incident had been scaled down to two fire appliances and by 2am steady progress was being made turning over and damping down hot spots.
Crews stayed on at the scene until 1.26pm and further checks were carried out during the afternoon.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington