Fire safety events for businesses hailed a success
- Credit: Archant
Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service organised the events for hotel and guest house owners after a number of high profile fires across the South West.
A NUMBER of free fire safety events held for hotels and guest house owners have been hailed as a success by Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service.
The business compliance events across North Devon saw more than 200 people attending and explained how business owners could best comply with fire safety legislation.
Kevin Parfitt, fire protection officer who co-presented the events with operational support officer for Bideford, Graham Rooke, said the events were a success.
Mr Parfitt said: “We are really pleased with the outcome of these events and have received many positive comments from those who attended.”
You may also want to watch:
The events were organised after a number of high profile fires in hotels and guest houses in recent years across the South West.
These include the May 2011 fire at Tantons Hotel, which resulted in the owners being prosecuted and fined £40,000 for breaching a number of regulations.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
Mike Davies from Billy Budds in Croyde said: “I found the event very informative and really worthwhile coming along to, especially where to find more information on the website and the phone numbers to call.
“The facts on the fire safety order was really relevant to our business, right down to where to keep your extinguishers.
“I think it is important to know how to keep your premises and your customers safe from fire.”