Fire safety events for businesses hailed a success
- Credit: Archant
Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service organised the events for hotel and guest house owners after a number of high profile fires across the South West.
A NUMBER of free fire safety events held for hotels and guest house owners have been hailed as a success by Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service.
The business compliance events across North Devon saw more than 200 people attending and explained how business owners could best comply with fire safety legislation.
Kevin Parfitt, fire protection officer who co-presented the events with operational support officer for Bideford, Graham Rooke, said the events were a success.
Mr Parfitt said: “We are really pleased with the outcome of these events and have received many positive comments from those who attended.”
The events were organised after a number of high profile fires in hotels and guest houses in recent years across the South West.
These include the May 2011 fire at Tantons Hotel, which resulted in the owners being prosecuted and fined £40,000 for breaching a number of regulations.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
Mike Davies from Billy Budds in Croyde said: “I found the event very informative and really worthwhile coming along to, especially where to find more information on the website and the phone numbers to call.
“The facts on the fire safety order was really relevant to our business, right down to where to keep your extinguishers.
“I think it is important to know how to keep your premises and your customers safe from fire.”