Fire safety events for businesses hailed a success
- Credit: Archant
Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service organised the events for hotel and guest house owners after a number of high profile fires across the South West.
A NUMBER of free fire safety events held for hotels and guest house owners have been hailed as a success by Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service.
The business compliance events across North Devon saw more than 200 people attending and explained how business owners could best comply with fire safety legislation.
Kevin Parfitt, fire protection officer who co-presented the events with operational support officer for Bideford, Graham Rooke, said the events were a success.
Mr Parfitt said: “We are really pleased with the outcome of these events and have received many positive comments from those who attended.”
You may also want to watch:
The events were organised after a number of high profile fires in hotels and guest houses in recent years across the South West.
These include the May 2011 fire at Tantons Hotel, which resulted in the owners being prosecuted and fined £40,000 for breaching a number of regulations.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
Mike Davies from Billy Budds in Croyde said: “I found the event very informative and really worthwhile coming along to, especially where to find more information on the website and the phone numbers to call.
“The facts on the fire safety order was really relevant to our business, right down to where to keep your extinguishers.
“I think it is important to know how to keep your premises and your customers safe from fire.”