Fire in two Monkleigh homes

AN elderly man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire in two houses in Monkleigh on Easter Monday afternoon and a passer-by who went to his aid also suffered the effects of smoke and minor burns. Fire broke out in one of the tw

AN elderly man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire in two houses in Monkleigh on Easter Monday afternoon and a passer-by who went to his aid also suffered the effects of smoke and minor burns.Fire broke out in one of the two semi-detached houses in the centre of the village at around 4pm and spread to the roof of the neighbouring property.At the height of the blaze 30 firefighters fought the outbreak.Three fire appliances from Torrington and Bideford were initially sent to the outbreak. Later, a further crew from Appledore was deployed and, because of fire in the roof of the premises, the aerial ladder platform from Barnstaple and a special unit from Exmouth were also called in.Although the outbreak was brought under control after about an hour-and-a-half, firefighters remained at the scene overnight.Western Power were on the scene to disconnect electricity to the properties.The first house was severely damaged by the fire and the second house had around half of its roof damaged, as well as interior heat and smoke damage.A cause will not be confirmed until after fire investigators have examined the buildings, but it is initially thought to have been accidental.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus