A dog and two cats were rescued from a house in Barnstaple yesterday (Monday) after a chip pan caught fire.

Two fire crews from Barnstaple raced to the scene at Mulberry Way shortly after 3pm.

On arrival they found a fire in the ground floor kitchen, which involved a chip pan.

Crews rescued a Yorkshire terrier from the house and used an oxygen mask to administer oxygen therapy.

They also found two cats and released them from the house unscathed.

A fire spokesman said the ground floor of the house suffered 50 per cent smoke damage.