Fire in Bideford wood workshop
Bespoke furniture makers evacuated after smelling smoke in a wood machining room
A WORKSHOP on the Alverdiscott Road Industrial Estate, Bideford, was evacuated just before 4pm on Tuesday after a fire was discovered in the dust extraction system.
Staff at Renatus, a company which manufactures organs and bespoke wooden furniture, were alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke in a wood machining room and contacted the emergency services.
Two fire appliances from Bideford were sent to the incident and firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to locate the fire, which was burning in several places along a five metre length of ducting.
The crews first had to dismantle sections of the pipe work to gain access to the fire and then used chimney rods and a stirrup pump to extinguish the blaze before removing quantities of burnt wood shavings.
You may also want to watch:
The fire is thought to have started when the cutting blade in a router malfunctioned and sparks were drawn up into the extraction system.
Fire crews were on scene for nearly two hours before they were satisfied that the area was safe.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386