Fire fighters warn of ‘hidden danger’ of furniture oil
Fire fighters spent six hours battling blaze in Chulmleigh caused by teak oil on Thursday.
FIRE FIGHTERS are warning of the ‘hidden danger’ of furniture oil after a severe garage blaze in Chulmleigh last week.
Fire investigation officers discovered teak oil was responsible for the blaze on Thursday which took fire fighters more than six hours to battle.
Andy Justice, Fire Investigation Manager, said: “Users of such oils tend to apply the oil using a rag, which during use becomes heavily absorbed.
“In this incident it is understood that the rag was discarded whilst still heavily contaminated, which then resulted in it self-heating to the point of ignition.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Devon Fire and Rescue Service said: “Linseed oil is a major constituent of teak oil, which is readily known react exothermically and generate heat under ideal conditions.
“Users of such oils are reminded to follow manufacturer’s instructions and labels by ensuring that after use any contaminated rags are fully washed in warm soapy water before disposal.”
- 1 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects
Alternatively, the fire service advises users to either hang the rag out to dry on a washing line before disposing of it, or store rags in an airtight, preferably metal container.
Three fire crews from Chulmleigh, Witheridge and South Molton were called to the blaze on Thursday in Park Mill Lane, just after midnight.
By 6.30am the fire was reported to be out and the garage, including a car inside, was left severely damaged.