Fire-fighters set to strike today
- Credit: Archant
North Devon stations affected by four-hour national action
Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue are urging people to take extra caution as fire-fighters from stations across North Devon prepare to go on strike today (Wednesday).
The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) will be striking across the country between 12-4pm today, but the fire service say they will still be able to respond to emergencies, though people should be prepared for a delay.
“Although there will always be a response, due to the likelihood of a reduced service, we will be prioritising calls to emergencies where there is a risk to life,” said Chief fire officer Lee Howell.
“Periods of industrial action are always difficult for everyone involved and the public can help us at this time by taking extra care.”
You may also want to watch:
There are FBU members who could strike at Ilfracombe, Bideford, Braunton, Woolacmobe, Combe Martin and Barnstaple fire stations.
The national action is in response to a dispute over proposed pension changes with the government, but the Fire & Rescue service still has a legal duty to maintain its services as best it can.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 3 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
For more information on staying safe during the strike, visit the Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue service website at www.dsfire.gov.uk.