Fire-fighters set to strike today
- Credit: Archant
North Devon stations affected by four-hour national action
Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue are urging people to take extra caution as fire-fighters from stations across North Devon prepare to go on strike today (Wednesday).
The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) will be striking across the country between 12-4pm today, but the fire service say they will still be able to respond to emergencies, though people should be prepared for a delay.
“Although there will always be a response, due to the likelihood of a reduced service, we will be prioritising calls to emergencies where there is a risk to life,” said Chief fire officer Lee Howell.
“Periods of industrial action are always difficult for everyone involved and the public can help us at this time by taking extra care.”
You may also want to watch:
There are FBU members who could strike at Ilfracombe, Bideford, Braunton, Woolacmobe, Combe Martin and Barnstaple fire stations.
The national action is in response to a dispute over proposed pension changes with the government, but the Fire & Rescue service still has a legal duty to maintain its services as best it can.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
For more information on staying safe during the strike, visit the Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue service website at www.dsfire.gov.uk.