Fire fighters from across Devon battle Monkleigh barn blaze
DOZENS of fire fighters have been working through the night to quench an inferno at a barn in Monkleigh. Crews from as far afield as Ilfracombe and Ivybridge were in attendance after the alarm was raised at 10.55pm last night (Sunday.) The single storey b
DOZENS of fire fighters have been working through the night to quench an inferno at a barn in Monkleigh.
Crews from as far afield as Ilfracombe and Ivybridge were in attendance after the alarm was raised at 10.55pm last night (Sunday.)
The single storey barn was well alight and thought to contain a combine harvester plus other agricultural equipment and a quantity of chemical fertiliser.
Throughout the night fire fighters fought the blaze defensively, using hose reels and ground monitors to pin back the flames.
You may also want to watch:
Initially three appliances from Bideford and Torrington were called out, together with a water carrier from Barnstaple. A further three were soon called for from Appledore and Barnstaple, as well as the Incident Command Unit from Ilfracombe plus a support pump from Braunton and the Environmental Unit and support pump from Crediton.
By 7.30am this morning, the fire service reported crews had made steady progress during the night. One appliance with a hose had been deployed to protect the nearby farmhouse in case the blaze spread.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
- 9 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
Relief appliances have been mobilsed from North Tawton, Witheridge, Chagford and Woolacombe.