Fire fighters called to leaking nitrogen at Ilfracombe hospital

THE alarm was raised after a cylinder of liquid nitrogen was discovered leaking outside the Tyrrell Hospital in Ilfracombe on Sunday evening. Two fire crews from the town attended after being called to the scene just before 6.45pm. They found the cylinder

THE alarm was raised after a cylinder of liquid nitrogen was discovered leaking outside the Tyrrell Hospital in Ilfracombe on Sunday evening.

Two fire crews from the town attended after being called to the scene just before 6.45pm.

They found the cylinder, in a caged area outside together with oxygen cylinders, was discharging its contents.

It was allowed to vent completely while fire fighters kept an eye on the situation and then the incident was left in the hands of hospital authorities.


You may also want to watch:


Nitrogen is non toxic but can cause suffocation if the gas escapes in a confined indoor space. Liquid nitrogen is extremely cold and among other things is used as a refrigerant. It will freeze skin on contact and it causes frostbite type injuries.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus