Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after kitchen fire spread to first floor of home in the early hours of this morning (Thursday).

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after a blaze at a house in Instow in the early hours of this morning (Thursday).

Fire fighters from Bideford and Barnstaple raced to the scene in Lane End Close shortly before 4am.

They found a fire which had started in the kitchen had spread to the first floor of the property.

The ambulance service was requested for two casualties suffering smoke inhalation.

Crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, one safety jet, one thermal imaging camera and positive pressure ventilation to extinguish the fire.

The kitchen was sixty per cent damaged by the fire with the remainder of the property forty per cent damaged by the smoke.