Fire fight isn’t right
- Credit: Archant
Sir, I don’t think you’ve done your homework. (“Fire chiefs: This is best way to make savings”, Gazette, January 16). Can llfracombe really afford the present cover with all those highly paid firemen doing nothing most of the time?
A friend of mine was involved in a road accident last year. She said the police were the first to arrive, followed by the ambulance, then two fire engines with nine firemen, which were not needed.
How many of the 153 “shouts” in Ilfracombe were like that? The fireman have a vested interest to preserve their highly paid jobs and pensions. Unlike in the private sector – Honda, Blockbuster, HMV, Jessops – no Ilfracombe fireman will be made redundant.
Many towns have retained only fire cover. Bideford, for instance. We never hear of disasters resulting from it.
Let’s have an informed debate on where savings can be made and curtail this hysterical nonsense coming from the press.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 7 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 8 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
- 9 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal