Fire fight isn’t right
- Credit: Archant
Sir, I don’t think you’ve done your homework. (“Fire chiefs: This is best way to make savings”, Gazette, January 16). Can llfracombe really afford the present cover with all those highly paid firemen doing nothing most of the time?
A friend of mine was involved in a road accident last year. She said the police were the first to arrive, followed by the ambulance, then two fire engines with nine firemen, which were not needed.
How many of the 153 “shouts” in Ilfracombe were like that? The fireman have a vested interest to preserve their highly paid jobs and pensions. Unlike in the private sector – Honda, Blockbuster, HMV, Jessops – no Ilfracombe fireman will be made redundant.
Many towns have retained only fire cover. Bideford, for instance. We never hear of disasters resulting from it.
Let’s have an informed debate on where savings can be made and curtail this hysterical nonsense coming from the press.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 4 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 7 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton