Fire destroys 30 hectares of heathland near North Molton
- Credit: Archant
Crews from South Molton, Dulverton, Barnstaple and Porlock battle large gorse blaze.
FIREFIGHTERS have spent much of last night (Wednesday) battling a large gorse fire on heathland near North Molton.
Several members of the public called to report the blaze at Tabor Hill, Heasley Mill, at around 9pm.
Crews from South Molton and Dulverton arrived at the scene to discover a mile-long fire front and called for assistance from Barnstaple and Porlock.
They used four hose reel jets, beaters, the groundhog pump and pinzguaer pump to extinguish the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
By midnight, crews were still fighting one fire front using the groundhog, pinzguaer and beaters.
An estimated 30 hectares of heathland was destroyed by the fire, which is thought to have been started deliberately.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 8 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 9 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience