Fire destroys 30 hectares of heathland near North Molton
- Credit: Archant
Crews from South Molton, Dulverton, Barnstaple and Porlock battle large gorse blaze.
FIREFIGHTERS have spent much of last night (Wednesday) battling a large gorse fire on heathland near North Molton.
Several members of the public called to report the blaze at Tabor Hill, Heasley Mill, at around 9pm.
Crews from South Molton and Dulverton arrived at the scene to discover a mile-long fire front and called for assistance from Barnstaple and Porlock.
They used four hose reel jets, beaters, the groundhog pump and pinzguaer pump to extinguish the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
By midnight, crews were still fighting one fire front using the groundhog, pinzguaer and beaters.
An estimated 30 hectares of heathland was destroyed by the fire, which is thought to have been started deliberately.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new